Mind the Clap: A Resurgence in Disseminated Gonococcal Infection (DGI)
February 23, 2021
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has received increasing reports of disseminated gonococcal infection (DGI), a severe complication of untreated gonorrhea. This STD Expert Hour features Dr. Laura Quilter from CDC and Dr. Eric Tang from CDPH. They discuss DGI epidemiology, clinical presentation, and management. In addition, they review California’s recent DGI investigation and what clinicians can do to help.
- Describe the epidemiology of uncomplicated gonorrhea and DGI
- Recognize the clinical manifestations of DGI and increase clinical suspicion for DGI in patients with joint pain
- Demonstrate how to diagnose, manage, and treat DGI
- Report all laboratory-confirmed and clinically-suspected cases of DGI to public health
- Prioritize routine screening, testing, and treatment of STDs among high-risk patients