Pain Management: Tips, Tricks, and Evidence
February 5, 2019
Patients often experience varying levels of pain or discomfort from procedures performed during family planning visits. The purpose of this webinar is to provide clinicians with evidenced-based tips, tricks, and strategies on how to prevent and minimize pain during family planning procedures.
The webinar focuses on the most commonly performed family planning procedures such as: IUD insertion/removal, implant insertion/removal, colposcopy, biopsy, and vulvar biopsy. Less common procedures for non-gynecologists such as LEEP, cryo, and procedures not covered by the Family PACT Program are not discussed.
The following topics are covered in detail:
- Three components and factors associated with procedure pain and strategies to alleviate discomfort
- Four examples of trauma-informed care practices for family planning clients
- Three examples of ways to use patient-centered language during pelvic exams
- Considerations for administering and providing the appropriate level of local anesthetic
- Pain management for family planning procedures